Manufacturers assign all vehicles their maximum towing capacity. This is the weight of the trailer that a tow vehicle is allowed to tow. The weights are usually indicated in pounds. This means that every vehicle has a different towing capacity, according to its make and specifications. Vehicles towing capacity is usually determined by its components and whether these components have the ability to efficiently and safely handle extra weight. The engines horse power and brakes play a big role during towing. To stop load, the brakes should have enough power while the engine must have enough horse power. When modifications are done to some of the systems, towing capacity may increase.
If you’re ever in a bind and need a tow truck, Chicago Heights Towing is the company to call. We’re experts in roadside assistance and can get you back on the road fast. With over 20 years of experience, we know how to handle any situation. So whether your car has broken down or you’ve been in an accident, our team is here to help. Give us a call today!
You will need an upgraded hitch, a trailer brake controller, upgraded axles and a power programmer.
1. Compare the weight of the trailer you want to tow to the maximum towing capacity of the vehicle. If there is a difference 0f 1,000 to 2,000 pound, a different vehicle should be used. If the range is reasonable, modifications can be done.
2. Install the truck with an aftermarket power programmer. The power programmer helps add torque and horsepower to the vehicle. With the additional power, the vehicle can tow heavier load. The power programmer works with the electronic control modules of the vehicle to create better handling. It modifies the transmissions that are automatic during trailer towing. These programmers are specific to the vehicles applications and are constructed according to the trucks make and model.
Chicago Heights Towing is the best towing company in all of Chicagoland. We provide reliable, affordable towing services for drivers who need a tow truck for any reason. From flat tires to car accidents, our tow truck operators are here to help you get your vehicle back on the road as quickly and easily as possible. Contact us today for a free quote!
3. It’s important for a vehicle to stop efficiently and safely while towing heavy load. Approach a mechanic and have them upgrade your truck’s braking system. The brake rotors when upgraded create a brake that is more powerful. A trailer brake controller that is electronic can also be installed. This helps you adjust the trailer’s braking system power during driving.
4. Heavier duty parts should be installed to upgrade the differentials and axles. When the gear ratio is upgraded, stress is reduced on the trucks drive train during towing.
5. When choosing a hitch, make sure it is capable of handling the weight you wish to tow. Most manufacturers install a class 3 hitch during manufacture. The class 3 hitch can tow loads of up to 5,000 pounds. When you install a high class hitch, you are able to tow heavier loads safely. You can install a class five hitch hence increasing your hitch capability to 10,000 pounds.
These simple steps will help you upgrade your truck to tow heavy loads. Towing weights that are above maximum towing capacities can cause problems. Extra caution should hence be taken during towing. Make sure you hitch is properly installed to avoid sagging of the tow vehicle.
Looking for a reliable towing service in the Chicago Heights area? Look no further than Chicago Heights Towing! Our experienced and professional team is available 24/7 to help you with all your towing needs. We offer prompt and efficient service at a fair price, so you can rest assured that your car is in good hands. Contact us today to learn more about our services or schedule a tow!